From:
gisele laviolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 18:09:33 EST
I asked a question about two months ago about  how the Baby f!riendly initiative
was implemented in other countries. I have bee able to share the information
lots of you sent me with the  French Committee for Unicef . France has still  a
long way to go before we get our first BFHI hospital!  Thank you to everyone who
sent me info. Here is another question

I have been asked for help by  an LLLleader who  is confonted with a problem I
had never heard of before ,so I thought this wonderful bunch of peole you all
are might help. It is about a newborn who has a condition which in french is
called chylothorax.
I have no idea if this is understandable in English ,it means that  the chyle,
lymph liquid is invading the pleura (hope this gets clearer!!)the baby was
diagnosed in utero and he was delivered by Csection at 8.5 months. The baby is
in the Nicu and  his condition has been adressed but he must not get any fat
because it would cause the problem to come back .So the baby is fed a non-fat
formula and then they will add medium chain fatty acid to his diet and only
after  that he will get  regular food hopefully his mother's milk.The mum  wants
to keep up her milk supply until then but she has been told different numbers of
months . Does anyone among you have heard of a case like this  and tell when the
breastfeeding was started . Must this mother expect to pump for 1,3 or 6 months?
This seems to be a very difficult situation especially as it seems the baby
cannot be given the milk at all. Have you had a mother keep up her milk supply
in such  circumstances , what helped her ? is it worth it ?couldn't she just try
to relactate when the time comes ? Any input would be welcome . The mother is
motivated but the health team around her does not seem to support her wish to
breastfeed as breastfeeding beyond two months is regarded  as quite unusual by
most people in this country.

thank you  Gisele Laviolle LLLL IBCLC sending all of you a little smile from
Paris where spring seems to have just started