Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patricia Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:06:32 UT
Gena wrote:  "Other than cleft palate, can you tell me any
reason milk may come out of a baby's nose on a regular basis?"

Nasopharyngeal reflux can account for milk going into the nasal cavity.  A
bifid (split) or absence of the uvula (the thing that hangs down when you say
AHHH).  It is supposed to close off the opening from the mouth to the nasal
cavity when we swallow.  That is why we don't have milk or whatever coming out
of our noses.  But some babies do not have a coordinated suck/swallow
mechanism (more common with preemie or baby with neurological problems) and
the flap may not close.  Or they may have a congenital abnormality of the
uvula.
Hope that this helps,
Pat Mullen
Florida