From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:45:33 -0500
Reading Barb Cole's post concerning the staff relunctance to pump the breast of
an early postpartum sick mom reminded me of a situation we had a year or two
ago.  I do not remember the cause of this mother's condition, but she was moved
to the ICU where she was on the line between life and death--intubated, gut open
under the dressing, doc and nursing staff not sure she whould make it.  But here
come the NICU staff with the O15 to pump her breasts throughout the night.  I
was called into the ICU the next day to see about her pumping.  Since her
breasts were soft--I assume because all of her resources were being spent trying
to stay alive--I saw no reason to pump.  I told them that we would do what we
could to salvage the breastfeeding after mom was stable.  We were not getting
anything for the baby by pumping and we were not preventing engorgement/mastitis
since there was no apparent milk activity.  We did get milk flowing again after
mom was moved to the med/surg floor and stable.

My point is that there certainly should be some middle ground between lack of
pumping when it could be helpful to the sick mom and over-zealous pumping.  Any
ideas?????

Working as an LC in the hospital is a bit like walking the political/clinical
tight-rope!!

Pardee Hinson
Charlotte, NC