From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 18:37:42 -0500
WOW Netters,

What a fasinating conference.  Just got back from the Milk Bank Conf. in
Raleigh, NC.  (50 degree, sunny-did not want to come back to Chicago).  Dr.
Harlan Wright, Interim Chief of Hepatology Section at Oklahoma
Transplantation Institute of Integris Baptist Medicat Center of Oklahoma
spoke on the use of breast milk in surgeries involving organ transplants.
 Can you see it now.  "Human milk used in oral therapy for children and
adults".  He practiced prior at the Un. of Pittsburg when he first began
using oral therapy of human milk.  They thought he was insane.   I talked to
him for quit a while and I give him alot of credit for conti. his work with
what all flack he gets.  He said people think he is out of his mind.  You
think we are fanatics???  I think it is great!!  Anyway, what he feels is
that all IgA deficient patients should be on Human Milk Management.
 Colostrum can contain up to 7g/dl of IgA.  IgA is absorbed by the gut and
transfers immunities.  (nothing new to us)  Two of his patients on oral
breast milk remained free of infection for a good length of time.  One
patient died at  7 months of massive sepsis after quiting breast milk.  One
man swears, according to the newspaper, that he is still alive due to
drinking breast milk.  His picture in the newspaper showed him holding up his
"breast" drinking cup.  The treatment involves drinking fresh breast milk,
4oz. 3 times a day for 10 days.  The big question which I addressed is we
have a hard enough time feeding infants breastmilk, where are we ever going
to find enough milk for all these other potential needs.  That night I went
to bed with my mind racing a mile an hour.  Gota go, but I will fill you in
with more later.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
Naperville, IL