Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Katherine Catone, Ibclc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 01:14:37 -0500
Ginny, was going to email you, but can't find your email address.

About your client facing breast surgery.  I'd like to have some more details.
 But here are my immediate thoughts.  I have had mothers have surgery for
'the MD's peace of mind', and interestingly the surgeons have said after that
they hadn't realized just how much more vascular the lactating breast is, and
how much messier & difficult this would make the surgery (due to all the
extra blood).  Had 1 tell the mom involved that next time he would recommend
that this non-urgent surgery be put off till long after weaning. This
particular mother was nursing a 4 year old on an occasional basis. The MD
felt that  the little bit she was nursing would not affect things prior to
surgery.  With other mothers experience shows that short term weaning dosen't
radically change vascularization as some MD's might think.  (How many of us
produced milk for very long periods of time after weaning?)  Anyway, this
needs to be brought up for the surgeon's edification.

Chele Marmet did a session on breast problems at either the 94 or 95 LLL/So.
Calif/NV Area Conference and that conference tape might be helpful.  (Weren't
you there, Ginny?)  Anyway, I remember her saying that using a vertical
incision vs. a horizontal one causing a lot less trauma to milk ducts, etc.
 (Seems obvious dosen't it?)  She also said something about consulting a
plastic surgeon, or MD who has this background as they are used to doing
surgery with least amt of trauma, etc.

Sorry, these thoughts aren't of genius quality.  Hope they help some.

Kathe Catone, IBCLC, LLLL   ([log in to unmask])