Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Shirley Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 09:38:00 -0700
Dear Teresa,

Alpha hydroxy acids are found in a good number of emollients and are known
skin irritants. I cannot imagine that they would be something that you would
want to put on a lactating nipple.

In general emollients contain agents that probably should not be used in a
breastfeeding mother.
Here are a few of the other offenders,
Vitamin E - Application can result in absorption by the infant and contact
dermatitis and generalized allergic reactions in the mother.
Propylene glycol - known adverse effects in premature infants including
seizures and arrythmias.
Hydrous lanolin - can contain organophosphate residues including diazinon
Perfumes - can change the taste and smell of the breast and nipple and are
often powerful skin sensitizers.

....and so forth.

Probably best to stick with a very neutral product like 100% anhydrous
lanolin.

Shirley Gross

M. Shirley Gross M.D.,C.M., C.C.F.P., I.B.C.L.C.
Director, Edmonton Breastfeeding Clinic
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
E mail at  <  [log in to unmask]  >