From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:40:15 -0500
Dr. Denhez's recent post suggesting ways to encourage restaurants,
workplaces, stores to become baby-friendly reminded me of a promotion I saw
in the UK in 1994. Those of you in the UK can perhaps fill in any errors.
The hamburger franchaise that brings you Big Macs was sponsoring a national
contest--printed on each and every placemat (all right...I'm busted--I ate
at McD! Hey--I was traveling with a 6 year old, ok?) Customers were invited
to write in the names of family friendly (and family unfriendly, I believe)
businesses. Of course, they considered themselves on the A list...

Although all of us have heard the negative stories, I have a (short) list of
tales collected from women who have had stores, restaurants, bosses go the
"extra mile." (Like one mom who was trying to find a place to plug in her
pump in the bathroom at an IHOP restaurant. When the manager discovered her
problem he insisted she leave the restroom--he closed off a section of the
restaurant so she could have privacy, ran a cord to her table AND gave her
breakfast!) I second (third, fourth?) the idea that we find a way to give
public appreciation to such efforts.

I was tickled to find a chain of children's clothing stores (Motherwear?)
that had comfortable, clean nursing mother lounges--near the ladies
bathrooms--with prominent signs advertising such on the street. Also, to the
delight of my daughter, the ladies' lavatory had two toilets, side-by-side:
one adult size and one toddler size. (And you were thinking the family bed
was inclusive :-) ) Though I didn't venture in, I was told that the men's
lavatories had baby care facilities. I made pilgrimages to these nursing
rooms  in each city where I could find them (who else but an LC makes a tour
like this, right?). I always sat and chatted with the nursing women,
listened to their stories. Without exception they had planned their shopping
to include the nursing room. I'm certain the store profits from this. Would
that this would catch on everywhere.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC