From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 21:04:31 -0500
Hi Jay (I think it was your post)
I really chuckled when I saw your post because I've always been told the
opposite. that breast milk did not have enough calories so at times I've
been implimenting pumping briefly and changing bottles and giving the second
EBM with more hind milk to the prems. It seems to satisfy some of the
pediatricians some of the time.

Does anyone have a protocol for how high Blood sugar levels should be before
a newborn is considered not to have to be treated for Hypoglycemia. This is
important since in our hospital formula is given to breastfed babies only
for that reason if mom is too ill to nurse or unable to pump enough. Might
Glucose water not do the same and not cause the potential ABM allergic
reactions etc.? I have received one response and have read an article
entitled " Glucose: A fuel for thought!" J.Peadiatr.Child Health (1991)27,
21-30. Which gives varied levels.

Articles sent to me by Infact Canada and Jonathan Kramer (thanks again)
really started me thinking about "just one bottle". The peds don't want to
start an IV. on otherwise healthy newborns. I don't really like that idea
either.

I sort of asked this question before but probably didn't explain it very
well. Did I do any better this time?
TIA
Attie <sandinkAnetworx.on.ca>