From:
laura ehrenzeller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 20:29:34 -0500
Dear Marie,
All of the recent posts concerning RN versus non-RN has been of particular
interest to me.  I learn alot vicariously by watching the IBCLCs and LCs
that I come in contact with and how they relate to others in the
professional realm.  I do feel that in our district, the RN, IBCLC tends to
command more respect with the Physicians and the other RNs. There could be
alot of reasons for this and some of them may or may not have to do with the
RN.  It all concerns me since I love this profession and intend to pursue it
further. At this time I am working on my contact hours for my IBCLC as a WIC
BF Peer Counselor. I was involved with LL while I lived in another city but
there is not one anywhere close by  and I can't say that I gleaned as much
satisfaction (or sometimes, frustration) as I have with being a Peer
Counselor-I love it and I love the women!  I have no medical background, I
have a BA in History.  My professional experience stems from my
concentration in Archival Research-I have worked as site Historian on
several Archaeological sites.  An experience far from the medical field! I'd
be a liar if I said I haven't contemplated becoming an RN or BSN.  I look at
it from the stand point of marketability-there just doesn't seem to be alot
of positions here for strictly LCs or IBCLCS.  Alot of RNs have gone and
gotten their IBCLC so local hospitals tend to see it as getting a 2 for 1
situation!  I was really hoping LACTNET could help answer this dilemma for
me.  I guess there is no magical answer-each individual must feel out
his/her own personal way!

I have found from experience that regardless of the profession you are in,
sadly there are those who will judge you merely by the letters that appear
behind your name!  I, too, refuse to let that keep me from the contributions
I feel I am called to make.  I continue to press forward, working hard to
attain those "letters strewn behind my name", not for THEIR satisfaction but
for my OWN!  At the same time vowing to remember the golden rule about
treating others as I would have them treat me.

Laura H. Ehrenzeller, BA, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and Proud!