From:
"Jeanine M. Klaus" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 01:23:40 EST
Ruth,
I had a work colleague that was hospitalized for depression and she had depended
on Reglan for a prolonged period of time to maintain her milk supply while
nursing her baby through toddlerhood. Now, I can't exactly say that one was
attributable to the other but...

I had my third child 11 years after having my twins. The twins breastfeed
exclusively until nine months, gaining weight at the rate of two pounds each per
month (this slowed down some at the end of year one). I was ammenorrheic for 14
months this first time. This last baby never stopped nursing (baby sling nurser,
family bed, etc.), latched on well, zero meds for labor/birth, no pacifiers, no
water, just breastfeeding (no EBM either). Menses returned at six weeks
postpartum, she was a slow to no weight -gain baby and in her sixth month my
pediatrician was sure my milk supply was off (though her solution was ABM). A
family practice physician finally wrote me a script for Reglan. I had a copious
milk supply in response to the drug, along with severe gogginess, difficulty
concentrating, extreme fatigue with insomnia, and general unexplained anxiety
attacks. As soon as we established that my milk supply was not the cause of my
baby's FTT (she gained no more with the copious supply than before), I got off
that medicine, continued to breastfeed and quit worrying so very much about her
weight gain (birth 8lbs. 7oz., at one year 15lbs. 15oz., at  4 years 33lbs.). I
was surprised by both the immediate response of my milk supply to the drug - it
did increase supply in my case within 48 hours of the first dose -and my most
unpleasant side effects. I remember telling my husband that I felt like someone
had let my brains leak out and I was greatly worried about this, but couldn't
remember why I should be worried. I took the drug for three months in total and
was ammenorrheic during this time only. And the experience left me with the firm
belief that there is substance to the connection between Reglan and depression.

Jeanine Klaus, MS,  IBCLC, LLLL
Oakville, Ontario
who thinks that the slow-gainer is going to wean any day now...