From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:47:40 +1000
A further response to Arly's latest post:

As I recall this, (excuse me if I'm wrong here, no records)there were two
same-post reports from different people both considering their joint pain
linked with the drug, one being fairly vague and the other more definite.
From 800 people on Lactnet, that certainly flags a real possibility of
linkage other than coincidental.I'd agree with everything you said re not
considering associations causes.  The other general point I want to make is
that "natural" products are no safer and may be less safe than "artificial"
ones: that no way would I as health professional blindly recommend to
mothers what herbalists or naturopaths suggest as useful with no scientific
support other than folklore. (The choice to swallow it myself is simpler,
but again I should not generalise from my body's response.) I was reacting
to a perceived willingness of Lactnetters to recommend to women and babies
herbal remedies about which we know zilch. My attitude is simple: it's
either powerful enough to be useful/harmful, or it's a waste of time. For
the 25% placebo effect you might as well drink water.