From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 08:16:43 -0700
>Arly said:  itis unlikely the dong quai caused the joint swelling.  Dong
>quai is a common herb, taken by perhaps millions of women in doses much
>higher than this,apparently without ill effect, or at least nothing so
>dramatic.
>
>Arly, I've loved almost all your posts before now (thank you for the time
>and effort involved in sharing so much.) But I wouldn't be so sure about
>that. People do react very differently to substances

Dear Maureen:  Thanks for your kind words.  In writing this post, I
originally had put "although almost anything is possible," but then decided
it was unnecessary, since I had already qualified the statement by saying
"unlikely."  I have to stand by that, since there are definitely degrees of
likelihood.

In the allergic reactions you mentioned, they are generally expressed as
urticaria and breathing difficulties, which were immediate, rather than
generalized edema in the extremities without affecting breathing,
apparently removed in time from the event.

Again, I have to point out that the variable dong quai was taken in a low
dose (compared to what is common), and what is more important, mixed in
with other variables in the related history, some of which were new, at the
same time.  One just cannot draw a conclusion from just a limited, mixed
experience, with a possible reaction somewhat removed in time from the
variables.  My thoughts in warning about the conclusion were that we will
wind up ineffective if we start drawing unwarranted conclusions from
failure to apply any scientific method.

It would be better to say, I had this symptom at one time of the year, and
looking back, I remember having taken a number of unfamiliar herbs one day
(or over a few days), and perhaps there was a relationship between this or
other events not recounted and the effect.  This puts it in the right
framework of being unlikely, but not entirely impossible, and needs more
investigation.

Arly                [log in to unmask]
MS, CLE, IBCLC