From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 22:17:22 +1000
I have been off Lactnet for several weeks because I have been just so busy,
but now I need help.
Our state Branch of the Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia had
recently established links with a government-run institution which has
caused much grief in the past.  This is a great leap forward.
They gave us a draft of a breastfeeding booklet they were preparing for
their clients, for comments.  I made the following suggestions:
To increase supply: instead of expressing after a feed, the mother to offer
top-up feeds to the baby shortly after a feed.
Miscarriage: their comment that breastfeeding during pregancy increased the
risk of miscarriage, I altered to state that in a a normal pregnancy where
there was no history of previous miscarriage or premature birth, there was
no increased risk of miscarriage.
Now they have asked for research references to back up my statements.
Can anybody help?
Incidentally, this is an institution, that recently diagnosed the mother of
a two and a half month old baby as having insufficient milk because of low
weight gains, confirmed it by test weighing plus the inability of expressing
after feed to boost supply, and admitted the mother to assist her to wean.
I need your combined wisdom.

Lesley McBurney, Brisbane, Australia