From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 23:30:53 -0500
Having read all the posts about problems with building up a "complete'" milk
supply bec. of messed up circumstances in the beginning, I'm now wondering
how to include this info in prenatal breastfeeding classes. Some of you may
remember the teen mom in one of my classes who decided not to breastfeed bec.
she didn't want a "confused" baby. Now if I tell prenatal participants to do
everything right bec. they may not get a second chance, they may not
breastfeed at all...How do I give them the whole picture w/o discouraging
them, in words they can understand and relate to?
BTW, one mom wants to relactate (her baby is 2 months old);she says-I need
something I can feel good about! She's really sorry now that she didn't
perservere with the baby during the first week. I find that she's not the
only one who feels she needs a "break" for a couple of months (!) before
feeling ready to breastfeed. We're going to have childbirth classes at our
center very soon, so maybe moms who are better prepared to birth will then be
better prepared to breastfeed right AFTER birth! Fortunately, the childbirth
educator is also a breastfeeding advocate, so hopefully we'll see some
changes for the better.
Pearl Shifer, M.Ed. IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coordinator, NENA Health Center WIC Program.