From:
Keith Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 07:50:08 -0800
Re: Hey, what is this?
My , perhaps not novel, method of introducing a bottle to my 2nd  (after my
1st battled me at 7 mos when I had to go back to work) was to begin at
3mos.  Initially, the bottle was a time of exploration given with
breastmilk between breasts at the same nursing time. The experience was
never longer than about 5 min. every day.  It was never a feeding/issue cuz
she had already nursed the 1st breast.

It took about a week before she would keep the bottle in her mouth and
another week before she would take a suck.     By the 3rd week she was
taking about 1/2oz.  After that, I periodically gave her 1/2 oz at
different times of the day, at least once a week, and sometimes before the
1st breast.  Did same for 3rd.  I didn't know about using a cup back then
but seems like that would have been preferrable.

I was lucky to have had long maternity leave for 1st and was stay-at-home
for 2  & 3.

Christine Palmer, RN, CLE,  inpt"lactation consultant"/Kaiser, Mill Valley
CA