From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 14:59:29 -0500
Hi, All:  I will be attending my hospital's annual SIDS symposium, and I
need some "ammunition".  There have been some improvements since last
year's symposium, which was sponsored by two abm companies (I sent a
scathing comment on my evaluation about how inappropriate this was).
This year, there is no such sponsorship noted in the brochure.  Although
there is no scheduled lecture about sids and bf, there is one called
"reassessing risk factors for sids", and I'm curious what that speaker
will say.  One p romising thing is that the hospital's SIDS Resource
Center, in conjunction with the NJ Department of Health, has recently put
out beautiful posters and bumper stickers stating "Don't smoke - avoid
smoke exposure; Keep baby on side or back; use a firm mattress; avoid
overheating baby; breast-feed" (so it's last on the list, and it's
hyphenated, I'm not quibbling).
I do know that last year, no one even mentioned bf until Deena Zimmerman
brought it up from the audience.  I have a concern that bf may be
mentioned but down-played, because I recently heard one of the
neonatologists who plans these conferences say "I heard that the
connection between bf and sids is not as strong as was thought".  I will
do a lit search, but is anyone aware of a recent re-evaluation of the
sids-bf risk reduction? Any new studies? Meta-analyses?  TIA, Alicia.