Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Jeffrey S. Fouche" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 21:07:10 -0500
I just wanted to share this letter with you all.  I authored and
now send it out to ALL prenatals that are seen by our 3 OBs and our
CNM.  Let me know what you think.

Dear Expecting Family,

        Congratulations on the news of your pregnancy.  The coming
weeks and months promise to bring a time
of change and joy.  As you adjust to the thought of being new
parents, or the parents of a newborn baby again,
you will undoubtedly make many decisions.  One of the most
important decisions you will make is how you will
feed your new baby.  The staff of the Maternal/Child Services
Department at  Barrow Medical Center wants to
assure that every pregnant woman is informed of the benefits of
breastfeeding.  First of all, rest assured that our
staff will support your informed decision, whether it be to
breastfeed or to bottle feed.  We do, however, have a
responsibility to inform you of the benefits of breastfeeding and
the risks of feeding a baby artificial baby milk
(infant formula).

        Breastfeeding has been proven to be the superior form of
infant nutrition.  Human breastmilk contains
the exact balance of nutrients that newborns need.  Breastmilk is
also able to protect babies from certain illnesses
and diseases, including SIDS (crib death).  Breastfeeding reduces
the likelihood of allergies and asthma; some
studies have even suggested that breastfed babies have higher IQs
later in life.  Every major authority on
newborn health has endorsed breastfeeding as the best form of
feeding for all babies.

        Feeding a baby artificial baby milk (formula) imposes some
risks on a new baby. Formula, which is
either based on cow's milk or vegetable sources, cannot protect a
baby from illnesses and diseases the way
breastmilk can.  This results in formula fed babies being admitted
to the hospital more often than breastfed
babies.  Formula fed babies have higher risks of respiratory
infections, diarrhea, allergies, eczema, asthma, colic,
constipation, and painful ear infections. Errors can also be made
when preparing formula in the home, which can
cause serious problems for a baby's tiny digestive system.  Formula
feeding also incurs increased costs because
formula is not cheap.  You also have to spend money on more bottles
and nipples. These risks and financial
implications must be considered when choosing an infant feeding
method.

        Breastfeeding builds a special bond between a baby and his
mother. Breastfeeding is a relationship of
trust, confidence, and most of all love.  Although breastfeeding is
a natural and loving process, it does require
learning for both the new baby and his family (but so does bottle
feeding).  The staff of the Maternal/Child
Services Department at Barrow Medical Center wants to offer every
family the opportunity to experience the
joys of breastfeeding.

        If you would like more information on breastfeeding, we
strongly urge you to attend our Prenatal
Breastfeeding Class.  The class is held on one Thursday every month
from 7:00pm until 9:00pm on the third floor
of the Cornerstone Professional Building at Barrow Medical Center.
Even if you have breastfed before, we
encourage you to attend.  There is no cost. Please call us at (770)
307-5310 or (770) 867-3400 for class dates,
more information, or to register.  Once again, we will support your
decision to breast or bottle feed, but we feel
you should make an informed decision.

                                                        Maternal/Child Services
                                                        Barrow Medical Center
Jeffrey S. Fouche, RN, BSN
Assistant Director of Maternal/Child Services and Breastfeeding Educator
Barrow Medical Center
http://members.gnn.com/jsfouche/breastfeeding.html   E_Mail: [log in to unmask]
Dad to Tanner 06-28-95