From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 09:40:19 -0500
        Hello again Mark. This race selection thing can get really
sticky. As I said last time, there is alot of variability within the
races.
        When I started, 25 yrs ago, practicaly everyone ran Italians. Not
all Italians are alike. Those selected by southern breeders tend to be
the broody, large population type because is what they need for package
production. This type of bee can be a problem in the north because they
don't cut back brood production soon enough. Migratory operations do well
with these. Similar to the Italian is the Starline. I ran these for
several years, but found they had poor wintering characteristics
especially when Tracheal mites arrived. Thats when I switched to
Carniolan. We tried several sources of these and found the New World type
best because they acted more like carnys. These bees are very
conservative with winter stores. We have very little starvation and when
infected with tracheal mite (HTM) often come through alive although not
necessarily strong. This experience is what led us into breeding for
resistance. We now have 22 lines, some from each race, all screened for
resistance.
        I have very detailed records of winter loss and honey production
back to '83. Heres a short story of what happened:

        '75-'84- Ran Italians, good production, 5-10% winter loss.
        '84-'88- Tracheal mites arrived, production dropped, winter loss
        rose to 30%. However the starline yards where more like 90%.
        '88-'90- We could not get switched to carniolan fast enough. By
        1990 losses were 50%. This is when we realized that just having
        dark bees was not enough.
        '91-'95- Losses now back to 5-15% due to breeding for HTM resistance.
                Also production is rising because of selection.

        I realize this is kind of sketchy, but a complete story could
fill a book. Maybe you should try a comparitave test of your our and see
what works well for you.
        We will have a limited number of queens for sale this summer if
you would like to try some from our program.

  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  x                                                              x
  x    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   x
  x    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       x
  x    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        x
  x    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   x
  x                                                              x
  x    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   x