From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 14:20:13 -0500
        It all depends on how intensively you want to keep bees. Some
people like a "natural" let alone system, while others strive to maximize
production. I don't think there is any question that a young queen can
lay more than an old one, nor is there a question as to increased honey
production- there have been plenty of studies on this. The Israelis
have even published a paper showing that there is a production advantage
with very young (< 1 yr. old) queens. Our experience agrees with this
paper but I have no data.
        Regarding the idea of making splits and allowing the nuc to raise
their own queen. Queens raised from emergency cells can be inferior. It
would be better to use a nuc with q-cells produced under the swarming
instinct. How ever even this practice is less productive than introducing
a laying queen. Usually nucs made for increase are started prior to the
honey flow. The advantage of an additional 2.5-3 weeks of egg production
easily offsets the price of a laying queen. The difference here in New
York is that a nuc started with a q-cell will make little or no honey
till the fall flow (sept.), a nuc (4-5 fr.) made with a laying queen
usually makes 1-2 shallows of summer honey and a normal fall crop. We
make hundreds of nucs each year and have consistantly observed this.
        As to the bees acclimating to your area, this is generally true but
can be compromised if other beekeepers in your area are bringing in
queens from elsewhere. Try to isolate your matings. The drones are just
as important as the virgins.
        I am new to this list so most of you do not know me. My wife
Carole and I keep about 700 colonies in Western New York and have been
breeding for tracheal mite resistance since '92.