From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 17:13:07 GMT
I've just discovered that I have a hot spot - a sensitive area - that I
wasn't truly aware of.  I'm having difficulty with this discussion
about breastfeeding helpers being closely supervised and overseen
by CLC's.  This puts the assistant in a very dependent and
patronized position of being monitored instead of mentored.  The
CLC has an image (to me) of being controlling and paternalistic.
The original post made reference to the assistant being an
accredited La Leche League Leader.  Leaders have been through an
application process that qualifies them to represent LLLI.  We are
not baby LCs, we are accredited Leaders fully qualified to give
accurate information and offer support to a nursing mother.

I recognize that liability is a touchy issue.  Especially in private
practice, it is difficult to assess coverage.  Who is covered and
how?  How much coverage is enough?  These are important issues
for which I have no answer.  I would be interested in knowing how
you all handle the subject of liability.  However -

Let's be careful.  None of us have *arrived*.  We are all still
learning from books, learning from each other, and most of all
learning from the mothers we serve.

Jeanne Fisher, who can't believe this touched off such a sore spot.
LLLL, IBCLC
Austin, TX