From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 00:03:17 EST
I was looking for my paperwork on the bumper stickers and I can't find it, but I
remember the New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force sells them (one is free, more
are .50 each), I think they operate out of the WIC clinic, but I don't remember
the exact address.

As for the Failure to Thrive baby, the doc should be looking at more than just
weight,  is the baby walking (or just starting),etc.  That is a better indicator
than just weight.  I learned this from personal experience and I was lucky
enough to have an extremely supportive and intelligent F.P. who looked at
activity levels and my daughter, not the scale.  For the record my daughter did
not double her birth weight until 18 months of age and did not start solids
until almost 9 months and then barely ate until about 16 months of age.  She
only ate what we were eating and what she could pick up with her fingers and got
tired after about 5 or so bites.  My daughter breastfed about every 1 1/2 to 2
hours throughout the day, plus a couple of marathon session at night.  My
husband has more allergies than you can shake a stick at, but because of my
daughter's slow start to eat, she has none.  Although she did have a problem
with peas (either when she ate them or I did) until she was about 2.  Also my
husband and I are on the thin side and I also did not "gain enough" as an infant
(my mother was forced to wean at four months, only to find my weight gain was
the same on formula!).  How I interested my daughter in other foods was to give
her exactly what we were eating (unseasoned and cut in small pieces) needless to
say our diet was restricted to easy to chew foods!  I would suggest that this
mother ask everyone she knows to recommend another doctor who will look at more
than the scale for a second (or third) opinion.  My daughter still is a bit thin
(but then so was I) at almost 4 but is extremely healthy and no way would I
consider her FTT.

Felicia Henry, AAHCC & LLLL