From:
Shirley Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 16:40:58 -0700
I am wondering if anyone has any information regarding the use of
pantidronate in breastfeeding mothers.

The patient has severe painful regional osteoporosis.  Her endocrinologist
is thinking of using several monthly injections of the medication for
symptomatic treatment.  He is very uncomfortable with the use of this
medication while she is breastfeeding her three month old baby.

I understand that the medication is a bisphosphonate and related to
etidronate.  Briggs doesn't cover this and Dr. Hale's book is on its way by
snail mail.

Thanks and a happy and safe New Year to all Lactnetters and their families.

Shirley

M. Shirley Gross M.D.,C.M., C.C.F.P., I.B.C.L.C.
Director, Edmonton Breastfeeding Clinic
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
E mail at  <  [log in to unmask]  >