From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:25:09 +1000
We don't know the answers at present. Views are extremely polarised. The
doctors looking after women affected by silicone implants and spokesperson
for the women themselves (Lynda Roth, Silicone Survivors USA) were adamant
about not breastfeeding at a recent conference in Sydney. On the other hand,
the majority of the medical profession, LLLI, etc are saying it is OK.
I have been collecting info on this, and trying to come to some conclusion
myself.

I would be hesitant to tell the woman who has had the leaking implant that
it is OK to breastfeed. She will still have silicone in her breast, and
probably in her ducts. It is not inert in the body. In susceptible people it
may be immunogenic (HLA-DR53 may be a marker).

The reports of breastfed children being affected by silicone implants have
been case studies, and therefore not hard data scientifically - but who
knows? Autoimmune diseases may take 10 years to develop, so symptoms in
children may not be linked to breast implants.

The January-March 1995 edition of International Journal of Occupational
Medicine and Toxicology is a special issue on silicone toxicity (I can't see
breastfeeding in it).

What do other people think?

Lisa Amir
GP / LC, in Melbourne, Australia