From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 19:33:58 -0500
I'm the Breastfeeding Coordinator and a nutrition counselor/R.N. at our local
WIC Program.  We do not advocate starting solids (cereal or anything else) at
4 mo. but unfortunately the State automatically puts cereal on the vouchers
when the infant is 4 mo.  and so that's when most moms start if they haven't
started before.  I tell my clients that it comes automatically from the state
to save us paper work and not because the baby is ready for it.  I feel iron
stores are sufficient until at least 6 mo. of age and at that time we do a
hemoglobin on the infant.  I would really love it if I could get the other
staff to use terms such as artificial baby milk and processed infant feeding
product, but they just mock me or just won't do it.  Some nutritionists that
we have had are very quick to offer to add formula to the food package as
well.  I would prefer a policy that said no formula allowed on WIC packages
for at least 6 weeks.  It's not to say the mom can't buy some on  her own -
(some of our clients don't feel it's there responsibility to pay for anything
themselves   GRRRRR!!!!!).  We make it to readily available to them it's true
but we don't have a choice, except in the way we counsel and unfortunately I
can't write the script for what the other staff says.  Frustrated, but still