From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 19:48:06 -0400
I've been with our WIC agency for 13 years, and have been breastfeeding
coordinator since about 1987.  Women who are breastfeeding are entitled to
receive a "breastfeeding package" for up to one year.   They are entitled to
receive the enhanced breastfeeding bonus food package for the same length of
time as long as they don't take artificial baby milk from us.  As soon as I
see more than than a tiny handful that breastfeed more than a year, I might
be able to discuss this with you.  But I do think a year of federally
supplemented food is quite nice of the government, don't you?  I'm a taxpayer
as well as a breastfeeding advocate.   What about WIC's definition of
breastfeeding?  As long as a mother says she's breastfeeding daily (no matter
how infrequently) she is entitled to WIC breastfeeding benefits.   You don't
suppose somebody might lie and say there are still breastfeeding at night
just to get WIC do you?  I think a year is more than generous of WIC.
 (That's what food stamps are for if she is unable to feed herself adequately
and besides WIC and other free programs also teach economical and
nutritionous food budgeting strategies to those who are interested or
motivated.