Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:32:51 EST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Welcome to Lactnet, Mardrey!

You write:
>Has anyone worked with, heard, or read about obesity in a breastfed infant.  This infant is only three
>months old, was in the eight pound range at birth (I haven't seen him myself)  and now weighs 25 lbs.  His
>Dr., a pediatric endocinologist, has been urging the mother to wean for weeks and is now getting more
>demanding.   She wants the mother to feed watered-down breast milk 3, 4 times a day and rice cereal.

18 years ago my LLL co-Leader gave birth to baby Rachel, who weighed 8# at birth. Her first baby had nursed
non-stop and she was concerned that the new baby would only nurse for five minutes every four or five hours.
For one reason or another, they didn't get to see a pediatrician until the baby was three months old. The Dr.
took one look at Rachel (who weighed in at 24#!) and told her mother to stop all solids immediately. On being
assured that the baby did not yet eat solids, he told her to cut down on the nursing. On being told how
little the baby nursed, he told the mother to drink lots of liquids "to water down the milk!" Needless to
say, she did not follow any of this advice. By the time Rachel was a year old she had naturally slimmed down
to 22# by continuing to nurse on cue and nibbling a little table food when she felt like it. Today she is a
beautiful young lady, a college sophomore with no eating problems whatsoever.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, LLLL                       "If not now, when? If not us, who?"
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2