From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 12:50:22 -0700
Rita, thanks for the response so far,

>What do mom's nipples look like when they come out of babe's mouths?

Nipples are pinched at the tips with a stripe in the direction of the baby's
lips.  No cracks or fissures yet.

>Gestatioal and current age of babies?

I believe they were 38 weeks at birth or there abouts.  They were very close
to term.  Weights were 5# 5oz and 6# 3oz.  Date of birth was 9/26/95.
Current age is 3 1/2 weeks.

>What else is going on?

Mom is getting absolutely exhausted.  She also has a three year old to take
care of.  Her mom is helping out mornings.  Three year old is going to day
care part time (same program as when mom was working and where she will
return at 3 months.)

Because of exhaustion, I suggested she pump a couple of feeds yesterday and
use a very wide based nipple, making sure mouth is wide around base.  I
think she was getting to the point were a nap was the thing she needed most.
I also suggested allowing babies to pacify on dad's large thumbs.

>Mandibluar massage also helps a tight baby to relax.

How is this done?  It sounds like it may help.

>More details on this case would be helpful if you can share.

Out put is adequate so intake is ok.  One baby nurses better on the left and
the other nurses better on the right.  Anything else?  I really want to tell
this mom somthing other than just wait, they will get bigger.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA