From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 23:07:42 -0500
>Patricia, I think you mean chicken pox vaccines, not small pox vaccines.
>The issue of chicken pox vaccines is an interesting one, here are my
>thoughts...
1)I agree that it is safer in the long run for young children to get the
illness than to get the vaccine, in that the vaccine does not guarantee
lifelong immunity, and chicken pox is dangerous in adults, esp. pregnant
women. Pregnant women are more at risk for varicella pneumonia, and I
witnessed the death of 2 pregnant woman with varicella pneumonia in their
pregnancies!!
2) However, once a child goes goes to school and hasn't had the natural
illness, as more kids are immunized that child has less opportunity to get
the illness, so is left in the lurch!!
3)therefore, I am picking some age that is agreeable to the parent, to wait
for the natural illness, ie such as 11. If the child hasn't had it yet, I
recommend a varicella titer first, and if neg, give the shot. Alot of kids
have had subclinical cases of chickenpox, and normal titers...I have
definitely seen this also in childbearing age of women.--Anne Eglash MD