From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:48:07 -0600
To Patricia  re:  Amphetamines:

        You may have been unable to find this group due to your spelling.
Its Amphetamines(version 4, page 30) , not ampheamines.

        As a family,  the amphetamines are low in molecular weight and
generally penetrate milk to approximately 138 ug/Liter of milk,  although
this may not be enough to produce significant agitation in an infant,  it
may induce sleeplessness, anorexia, and poor sleeping patterns.

        Except for narcolepsy,  I can't think of a good reason to use these
drugs in a breastfeeding mom.  These are  elective drugs,  and I believe
should not be used by breastfeeding mothers.

        We've known for at least 2 decades,  that this family and close
congeners,  work as anorexiants only briefly, maybe two weeks.  Then the
body undergoes a rapid tolerance(tachyphylaxis)  to the anorexiant effect
and they no longer seem to work.  But the patient still  enjoys the
stimulant effect,  and continues therapy even though they may not be loosing
weight.  The problem remains,  how to get the patient off the drug.

T.W. Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine