From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:40:23 -0500
Hi all,

For excellent info on the composition of Goat's milk, call the Meyenberg goat
milk co. in CA.  (805-565-1538) Explain you are an LC and you would like more
info; they have an excellent article (which I have misplaced) on goat milk
and how to make a formula from it. Reminds me of the old formulas using
Carnation, Karo & water.  Looking at it from a nutritional standpoint, it
looks about the same as cow's milk; from a macro/micro nutrient standpoint,
about the same too.  Solute load WAY too high for babies -- I think there
probably isn't much difference between giving a baby straight goat's milk or
straight cow's milk from that perspective.  I think if you give the mom the
article (or the part of it that shows the differences between cow's, goat's &
human milk), most moms would be quite convinced to give it up.  Frankly, the
baby would do much better on formula if mom's milk isn't available.

Now, I need help from you all.  With so many of us on Lactnet getting good
information everyday and support from one another -- Kathleen, didn't you say
we were up to over 600 subscribers?  -- we need to remember there are LCs out
there that are members of ILCA who still need all the goodies we are getting;
well, at least some of them!  The Globe relies on submissions from members to
keep it interesting, and I'd love to have some of the humorous stories and
tidbits you share on Lactnet available for the Globe.  If you have something
you'd like to share with the almost 4000 members of ILCA as well as the 600+
people on Lactnet, please e-mail me with whatever it is, and permission to
use it.  I'll need your name, city, state & country so your piece can be
properly credited.   Keep in mind that the Globe is a "newsletter" so we keep
it to (basically) current news & views on issues.  Letters to the editor are
always welcome, and those can come through on e-mail too.  Please DO NOT send
the same piece to the JHL & to the Globe -- they reach the same audience, and
we don't want to publish the same information twice.  If you have a letter or
article you think appropriate for the JHL, please send it to Kathy Auerbach
-- if appropriate for the Globe, send it on to me.

TIA

Jan Barger, Editor, Globe