From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 11:46:17 -0500
We have many mothers and fathers calling or coming to the lactation center who
want to get an electric pump so father/grandparent/whoever can bottle feed
either for that helper's own needs or for the intent of helping mother get more
rest.  I always assure them that I will help them do this, and I will, but I am
always gently clear that this plan will actually create more "work" for mother.

The mother will need to pump whenever infant is bottlefed, maybe more, so that
she will maintain her supply and avoid plugged ducts, or worse.  Pump parts and
bottle parts will need to be kept clean.  While father/grandmother usually agree
to do this washing, mother generally ends up doing it.  So, instead of picking
up baby and breastfeeding, there is breast pumping, bottle feeding, pump
washing, bottle washing, bottle preparing.  And there is always the posibility
of nipple confusion.

If they still want to pump so dad can bottle feed, I strongly suggest that they
wait until 1) baby is gaining very well as evidenced by several weight checks,
2) that there is absolutely no nipple or breast pain, and 3) that it is easy and
quick to get baby attached to the breast (none of this on-and-off stuff).

Often they will change their minds after feedings are going well.  If they want
to do it anyway, I help them.

After we have done what we can, given our personal and professional resources,
to provide current information in an understandable way, it is not up to us what
choice someone else makes.    It is then our responsibility to help them do what
they decide to do or to let them know that whatever-it-is is not a part of our
practice and that they will need to be referred to ***** (usually the physician)
for assistance.

A small example of this type of referral regards which type of commercial baby
milk to use.  I never, ever make such a recommendation even though I am
routinely asked.  It is always parent choice or physician recommendation.  When
asked my typical response is,  "I don't recommend a particular brand of
commercial baby milk. You will need to call your baby's pediatrician to find out
which brand to use.  Whatever brand you use, be sure to check the expiration
date before you buy it and again before you use it."

Is this (pumping so Dad can bottle feed) something that is seen more often in
the educated, middle class mothers more than in other groups?  Or is it just a
result of the complete normalization of bottle feeding in our culture and seen
in all groups?

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC   (who is sensitive to anything that makes for more
work and can't believe what she helps other people do)
Charlotte, NC