From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 05:09:31 EST
I am glad to hear that the Ross survey appears to be accurate.  I would like to
raise 2 other possible concerns with a formula company doing this sort of work.
Please bear in mind that I don't know the full history of their involvement or
their methodology.

1.  What effect does it have on mothers who take part in the survey, knowing
that a formula company is doing something wonderful for the children of America?

2.  What effect does it have on health professionals?

Answer (from where I sit)  -  it gives you all a good feeling about them.

And a third question -  Why do they do it?

Answer -draw your own conclusions, remembering that companies (at least in the
UK) have a duty to make as much money as possible for their share-holders.

If contact with mothers is direct,  then Ross Laboratories are breaking the WHO
code, which (if I recall correctly) prohibits contact with mothers.

In the UK despite our many failings, it is now the law that the companies may
not advertise outwith the Health service, and I can easily stop shops from
displaying company freebies.

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland  -    who never ceases to be amazed at what
the companies will do to promote their products.