From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:04:02 EDT
Dear Glynnis,
 Welcome to Lactnet!

About the mini-pill -  despite the fact that it is not supposed" to affect
the mother's milk supply, I have seen a number of women who have run into
problems.

The mother reports that she thinks that she has "lost" her milk because the
baby is nursing constantly, is fretting and never seems satisfied. After
ruling out growth spurts (which usually only last a couple of days) the only
other variable has been that the mother started on the mini-pill a few days
before the change in behaviour started. In my area, upper NY State, this
usually occurs soon after the mother's six week checkup. The condition is
reversed when the mothers stop taking the pill. They report that their
breasts feel fuller, they often start to leak again and the babies are
satisfied after a nursing.

While this report is anecdotal in nature, I have heard of other similar
cases and I think that it deserves further investigation.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, LLLL           "If not now, when? If not us, who?"

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Date: 10/18/95
Time: 09:04:02