Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Lisa Marasco, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:37:16 -0700
On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Deena Zimmerman wrote:

> 1) Now that synotocin nasal spray is not available what can be used instead?

Pitocin can be manually drawn up in a syringe (?) and sprayed in; we also
discussed last spring possible sublingual application of a couple of
drops, but I also remember something that might have gone against that.

> 2) Mother has had unilateral breast surgery the interrrupted the nipples and
> pucts.  Was told that she could not breastfeed on the other side as it would
> cause' horribly painful engorgement"

(Unilateral? "Nipples" and "ducts"? I'm assuming one breast only)
Deena,
IMHO, mom should go ahead and try breastfeeding. There is a higher
than normal chance that she will become engorged on the disrupted side,
but if she is counseled on how to handle it (ie, massage, expression of
any milk that comes out, cabbage leaves), I'll bet that she can work
through it and breastfeed unilaterally, if that is what it comes down to.

> 3) If anyone has been pregnant both with and witout nursing, have you noticed
> any difference in the symptoms of pregnancy (nausea etc) while nursing?
> Better? Worse?

Since I got pregnant while nursing three times (I have 4 children), I
probably qualify to comment on my own experience. To sum it up: I felt
equally lousy with all four during the first trimester; the big
difference was in coping with a nursing toddler while feeling nauseous
and experiencing nipple tenderness. *That* was challenging, and maybe it
sometimes made me feel worse, especially when I wanted to throw up (I
never did) and a child wanted to nurse or climb on me and inevitable
kneed me in the stomach. All in all, it was probably equal, though.

-Lisa

Lisa Marasco, BA, LLLL, IBCLC
[log in to unmask]  /  [log in to unmask]