From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 11:36:04 -0500
Just a comment on the horrible stuff on sleep training for kids...
I'm a writer, and was recently asked to co-write a book on baby and child
care put together by doctors at Toronto's Sick Kids hospital (a rather famous
and highly-regarded institution). The MD in charge of the project was an
older pediatrician. Well, I started out with a lot of enthusiasm, but then we
got into breastfeeding... He thinks all the research is basically flawed and
that there are no real advantages (his kids were fed ABM and there's
certainly nothing wrong with them!). Doesn't believe in nipple confusion
either - it's a plot by breastfeeding fanatics. And those fanatics are
causing babies to die, he insists. Big sigh. Then we got onto sleeping. He
was adamant that babies must be trained to sleep alone from birth. Never let
them fall asleep while feeding, etc. I decided to use his argument about his
kids being fed ABM and pointed out that all four of mine slept with me from
birth and are now just fine. No sleeping problems, etc. He said well they'll
probably have sexual problems that I'll never know about as a result. The
upshot of all this was that I had to withdraw from the project even though I
really needed the money (and had already done a lot of work that I won't be
paid for). I'm sure I haven't made myself very popular with the publisher,
either, who tried to talk me into staying on. But I just couldn't be part of
something that I believe will be harmful to babies. Anyway, I know you
Lactnetters will understand, even if nobody else does!

On a positive note, I recently saw a post here from a Jeanine Klaus in
Oakville, Ontario (where I live!) I can't believe we haven't met, and I'd
love to get together sometime for a talk/lunch/whatever!  If you're
interested, please call me at 847-3206. Thanks! (Anyone else in the area?
Please call!)

Teresa Pitman
Oakville, ON Canada