From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 21:29:22 GMT
Have you been getting as many calls about flu shots as I
have? This is what I share.

From the CDC, MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
Report) January 28, 1994/Vol 43.  General
Recommendations on Immunization, page 20,  Breast-
feeding and Vaccination:

>>Neither killed nor live vaccines affect the safety of breast-
feeding for mothers or infants.  Breast-feeding does not
adversely affect immunization and is not a contraindication
for any vaccine.  Breast-fed infants should be vaccinated
according to routine recommended schedules.

>>Inactivated or killed vaccines do not multiply within the
body.  Therefore they should pose no special risk for
mothers who are breast-feeding or for their infants.
Although live vaccines do multiply within the mother's
body, most have not been demonstrated to be excreted in
breast milk.  Although rubella vaccine virus may be
transmitted in breast milk, the virus usually does not infect
the infant, and if it does, the infection is well tolerated.
There is no contraindication for vaccinating breast-feeding
mothers with yellow fever vaccine.  Breast-feeding mothers
can receive OPV without any interruption in the feeding
schedule.<<

Hope this helps you as much as it has me.

Jeanne Fisher, Austin, TX