From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 16:10:46 +0200
Mmmmm, I love being made to think! The proposal made some time
ago to make the other stuff a prescription-only item really
caught my fancy.....until I was brought up short by reality, that
is, Julie's comment that it may make many moms turn to cow's or
goat's milk! Once again, I was startled by how culture-bound
breastfeeding is. For example, making ABM a prescription-only
probably *would* "work" among Israeli Jews, but among Israeli
Bedouin, Julie's worst fears would probably be realized.
IMO, Nancy was right, ultimately, about attitudes being changed
if this drastic move were made, but perhaps the cost in human
lives would prove too high? I don't know enough about the present
culture in the USA and elsewhere. Would other countries please
respond?  And Kathy Dettwyler? Disturbed, Judy Knopf in Beer
Sheva, Israel