From:
"Vincent G. Huml" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:39:14 EST
Dear Lactnetters
Today, spoke with "Center on Budget and Policy Priorities" in Washington DC.
How about this tax payers, "In fiscal year 1994 the WIC program purchased 1.5
billion $s in infant formula.  (it should be noted that this figure is spending
before rebates by the manufacturers who won and were awarded the government
contracts.)

This works out to be in excess of $4M per DAY....yes I'm shouting....  And how
much is allocated to b/f promotion per day?

Of course this figure dos not cover any additional costs in sick baby/mother
health costs related to not breastfeeding.  I can't help it, as a taxpayer, as
an individual,  I do really feel it's almost morally wrong to use my money for
purchasing formula.  I am forced to support the baby milk industry with my own
money, ugh I just hate it.  Surely if free abm were not so readily available and
there were more food give aways for lactating mothers (ABM by prescription only)
surely the b/f rate would increase and "wish" become the preferred way.
Wouldn't the birth rate also decrease, thereby placing less children on the
roles of WIC?
Yikes I guess this is my day for the soapbox...  Recd. a funny e mail message
said , wow if Newt got a hold of this....  Sorry for those of you outside the
USA, this is kind of US political.  But really, just thinking of all those WIC
mommies breastfeeding their babies, it  would make this a better nation and
think of all the MONEY we'd all save. I'd even contribute a donation to the
Enfa--il job placement program for out of work reps.
Sue Huml, IBCLC LLLL