From:
Martin Gaynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 22:55:35 -0400
I had chicken pox as a teen- remember it vividly. It was definitely a
good solid case- kept me out of school for 2 weeks.
Summer before last, all 3 of my kids got it, in succession.They were all
exclusively, on-demand BF for about a year(not to imply they weaned
then-they just began to eat so-called real food).
My daughter was 7- very very mild case.Next came the baby-10 mos. old.He
had a decent case, but nothing too awful. Then came the middle child,
then about 3 1/2 yrs. He got a really really bad case,of course we were
on a 3 week long adventure camping our way thru Maine and Canada by that
time!

The point is that I definitely know I had it (and not just a mild
case);I definitely manufactured antibodies . But the BF did not prevent
my kids from getting it . And while one had a mild case, the others were
good solid cases.And the one who got the mild case was the one who had
been weaned the longest.
So based on my own personal experience, I'd say BF will not give a babe
an immunity to this.
An interesting aside- when I was pregnant with my first, my husband got
shingles(of course, this was during the 1st trimester!)I assume my
herpes zoster antibodies(tT Ithink that's what they are called,
right?)provided adequate protection.The baby was fine and I never came
down with anything.

but as a reminder, chicken pox/shingles exposure during 1st trimester of
pregnancy is bad news if you have never had the disease.

Ellen VEgh,LLLL.Pittsburgh,PA