From:
Eric/Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 10:39:24 -0600
Rachael--
I admire your desire to be a breastfeeding activist and wish you well. I
have to say, however, that I would be most distressed to see LLLI seriously
entertain the idea of a separate category of "Leader" in LLL that would be
designated an  "LLL Breastfeeding Advocate." When I first got involved with
LLL I was a zealot, ready to bang the drum on the street corner, ready to
suggest legislation that ensured every woman HAD to breastfeed. It was only
through the loving, gentle application process for leadership (and continued
involvement through the years) that I recognized the importance to LLL
staying true to its purpose of working with mothers. I'm still passionate
about breastfeeding, but am no longer a zealot. I think that makes my
message much easier for people to take (although I'm still considered a
radical in my community because I think breastfeeding is best--sigh!).

LLL has so much trouble keeping itself afloat that I would be very
disappointed to see the very important work of supporting mothers, and
supporting the volunteer Leaders who work with those mothers, diluted with
political involvement. There are many other organizations whose main purpose
is breastfeeding activism, and this is where people interested in activism
can pursue their vision. That way each organization stays focussed on what
it does best. LLL supports mothers best and teaches women about the normal
course of breastfeeding. Activist organizations can mobilize their resources
to do what they do best--lobby and educate in different ways. There is a
need for both kinds of organization. I think if either tries to do what the
other is doing, energy and purpose are diluted, resulting in a watered-down
approach.

I'm a Leader and when I'm wearing that hat, I am happy not to be worrying
about educating a mother about the WHO Code, etc. I have enough to do just
to help her understand her baby. When I'm wearing my LC hat, I enjoy
educating health professionals and others about the WHO Code and other
issues. I don't think that stuff belongs in LLL Group Series Meetings. If
mothers are interested in getting more involved, I refer them to INFACT
Canada for that level of involvement. I also encourage them to continue
involvement with LLL because their passion is important.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters here, but I feel VERY strongly about this!

Leslie
(who will hear today whether she has been elected to the La Leche League
Canada Board--good news for those who don't want political activism, bad
news for those who do!)
Leslie Ayre-Jaschke, BEd, IBCLC
Peace River Breastfeeding Clinic
Peace River Alberta, Canada