From:
Roberta Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 1995 00:00:33 -0600
Hi Kim:

I've been saving my Lactnet postings in a sort of filing system here in my
Macintoch...and this is the first time that I call on these magic
collections and see that maybe I've actually done things efficiently!

Here's what I have saved over the past months re: HIV on Lactnet:
(I've done a bit of editing for brevity's sake)

Recently a buddy in Calif. asked me about the effects of Depoprovera on
BF...and I copied my Depoprovera stuff for her, too. Neat, huh?

---------------------------

>Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 1995 11:48:45 EST
>From: Sheila Evans <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:       Babies with Aids who become negative
>
>For Ann Perry and any others who may be interested, there was an editorial
>in JAMA, October 1988 Vol. 260(13) p. 1830 which addressed this issue.
>Many of the babies who test HIV positive are not infected and will not
>develop AIDS. The authors said that only 30- 50% of babies who test HIV
>antibody positive at the time of birth are actually infected. The
>remaining infants test positive because of maternal antibodies. The
>infants who test positive but who are not infected will test negative
>after a year or so. They are trying to learn why the virus is not
>transmitted to all children of infected moms. Therefore, the 5 year old
>born with AIDS, probably never had it and that is why he tested negative
>at the age of 5.
>
>Many of the HIV positive babies are infants of moms who are IV drug users
>and often remain in hospital as border babies. Many people don't want to
>adopt them because they may die. The cost in terms of denying these babes
>a good home, not to mention the cost of care is tremendous. An equally
>important question may be: How many babies are kept in hospital, treated
>with universal precautions during most of their infancy, and essentially
>isolated from love on the basis of a false positive test? We need a test
>which will sort out the false from the true positives.
>
>Unfortunately, there still remains the concern that babies who are
>breastfed may become infected through breast milk. If many HIV positive
>infants are *not* infected at birth, then much as we all support and
>promote breastfeeding, we probably shouldn't encourage breastfeeding in
>this group.
>
>Hope this helps; although, my final comments will probably stimulate some
>reaction.
>
>Sheila
>
>Sheila J. Evans        (519) 661-3395
>Faculty of Nursing     Fax: (519) 661-3928
>University of Western Ontario  email [log in to unmask]
>London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C1
>-----------------------------------
>
>Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 1995 20:19:16 -0400
>From: Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Babies with Aids who beco...
>
>Hi All,
>Watched a talk show about HIV and babies.  What the Dr.s said was this;
>1/3 of the babies will stay HIV positive forever
>1/3 of the babies will lose their HIV positive within 1-2 years
>1/3 of babies will lose their HIV, but then it will spontaneously reappear
>later in life
>Breastfeeding is NOT reccommended because the HIV antibodies will go directly
>into the breastmilk and infect the baby permanently.
>Does anyone out there have any other info that agrees with what these Dr.s
>were saying?  I'd love more info on it, myself.
>Janet
>Novice in the field but learning quickly :)
> [...]

Hope this helps you, Kim. It is certainly more up-to-date than the 1991
BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK.

Take care,

Roberta