From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 05:54:18 -0700
There weren't many responses on binding women's breasts to stop lactation.
Most physicans must recommend some method or other to stop lactation, when
a woman states her intention to do so.  I was surprised that of those
Lactnetters who answered my question, few worked with doctors who
recommended binding.   Binding is being used in my hospital and in general
in my community, but I have some concerns about it.  It would seem to me to
increase back-pressure, physiologically encouraging rather than
discouraging engorgement--the swelling reaction when milk is not moved out
of the milk reservoirs.  I am afraid it may cause more damage than it
prevents.

Those who do not know what physicians in your area are recommending, would
you mind asking?

I will do a literature search and let you all know if I find anything
interesting.

Arly Helm

[log in to unmask] (Arly Helm, MS, CLE, IBCLC)