From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:52:44 -0400
As you're sitting there in front of your computer screen, where is your
tongue?  Does it lie over your teeth at all?  (That is, if you were to
bite down gently without moving your tongue, would you bite any part of
your tongue?)

When you eat your next meal, see if you can tell whether your tongue moves
forward over your lower teeth to "escort" the food/fork into your mouth.

When you eat something solid like melon chunks or meatballs off a fork, do you
ever use your tongue to pluck the chunk off the fork without using your
lips?

Rather than clutter lactnet, e-mail me privately.  This really does have
to do with breastfeeding.  I made assumptions about how adults eat,
comparing it with how infants eat, and I think now our eating techniques
(and even our tongue holding techniques) may be surprisingly variable.

Does it vary with how we were fed as infants?  Add that to your message,
if you know :-)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL Ithaca, NY  [log in to unmask]