From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:10:18 -0400
Dear Jay:  This kind of message is very prevalent.  In fact, I recently
dealt with one of the big local HMO's (health maintenance organizations
for the international members), after seeing the prenatal educational
booklets they send to their clients.  There were two pages facing each
other, one entitled "The Advantages of Breastfeeding", with a somewhat
depressed looking breastfeeding mother and statements that "some experts
believe....about decreased infections, etc., followed by mention of
"feeling tied down" by the "constantly demanding baby", etc. he facing
page, entitled (you guessed it) "The Advantages of Bottle Feeding", with
a beaming happy bottle feeding mother, and a nearly glorified idea of the
convenience of bottle feeding, the ability to get a good night's sleep
and the father's ability to bond with his baby by feeding him. Their
response to my incensed letter was something to the effect that they were
sorry that I felt that their booklets were not supportive of
breastfeeding, but they have an editorial review board that had approved
them.  They claimed that my comments would be considered the next time
the booklets were to be revised.  This from an insurance company that is
supposed to be promoting healthy behaviors in order to reduce health care
costs!  I checked with other HMO's and their material varied from
mediocre to non-existent breastfeeding info.  Perhaps we lactnetters can
monitor our local HMO's and try to change these practices.  Good luck,
Alicia.  [log in to unmask]