From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:51:40 +1100
The reference for the JHL case report on eczema is 9 (3): 173-175, 1993.

I often see women who have been treated for thrush when they have ezcema.

Allthough steroids are not without dangers, they are wonderful for treating
eczema. I explain to people that if someone is taking cortisone tablets for
less than 10 days it will not have any side effect on their metabolism; it
is long term use that causes thinning skin, weight gain, etc. So if women
use it sparingly (ie very thinly) on their nipples after feeds for only as
long as necessary, and for less than 10 days it will not be detrimental to
their baby. Dermatologists prefer a stronger steroid like Diprosone
ointment, rather than a weaker one like hydrocortisone, as it works very
quickly. I had a call from a woman I saw last week who only needed Diprosone
for 2 days ( I love treating eczema.... much faster improvement than thrush).

Lisa Amir
GP / LC in Melbourne, Australia.