From:
"McDermott, Chan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 11:10:41 -0600
As the mother of an 8 month old (fully breastfed, natch, and thriving, thank
you very much), I *just* had the opportunity to participate in *the* survey.
My first inclination was to write all over it and *express* myself--but then I
realized it'd just be tossed out if I did, so I restrained myself and
answered methodically.  I also photocopied the survey, and am happy to
make it available to anyone who is curious.

No, it does not identify itself as being from a formula company.  It
comes w/ a cover letter from "The Research Institute of Mother and
Child Care," which is signed by William M. Moore, M.D.  The giveaway
is the return address:  Columbus, Ohio.

The first question asks you to check off what your baby was fed at
the following ages:  in the hospital, 1 week, 1 month, 2, 3, 4, 5, and
6 months  and yesterday.  The options to mark off are: Breast
milk first, fresh milk (defined as cow's milk), second and then 21 different
brands (and/or compositions) of formulas.  Finally, an "other" option.

Then it asks about sample formula and the hospital stay (the assumption is
that *all* babies are born in hospitals--I realize *most* are, but not *all* and
not *mine*).

Then it asks  which "club" you belong to (you know, Welcome Addition Club,
Special Delivery Club, etc.   aargh!), then did you get any formula from your
MD's office, ever receive formula in the mail, ever been on WIC.

It finishes up w/ demographics. (It also asks your baby's doctor's zip
code--do you think they'll track down my pedi, who I just got to
throw away the "club" membership forms, and browbeat him into putting
them back out?)

Let me know if anyone wants their very own copy.

Chan

Believing is receiving!
Chan McDermott, MPA, AAHCC
Texas Department of Health