From:
Diane Karnbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:34:28 -0400
Just talked with a mom 7 wks post partum, baby 35 wks gestation, 4lb11oz at
birth with 10 day hospital stay.  Mom pumped and bottle fed ESB in hospital.
 Baby is now 5lb10oz and Ped is threatening to switch to ABM for slow weight
gain.  Mom says baby is latching-on and sucking well.  Nurses 10 minutes each
side during day but has problems in evening.  Mom says her breasts are soft
in the evening, milk does not flow out as fast and baby will latch-on but
detach and scream.  Mom says this goes on for several hours (Fussy time?).
 Baby also has severe reflux which is worse on ABM and mom does not want to
stop breastfeeding.  Baby was treated with Reglan but developed rash and it
was discontinued.  Baby is having 6-8 very wet diaper a day and 4-5 mustard
colored stools per day.  I suggested she try nursing on one breast only at
each nursing to increase calorie intake.  Could this be helped by a change in
mom's diet since reflux is worse on ABM?  I'm concerned about slow wt gain.
 Any suggestions from all those so much more knowledgable than myself?

Diane Karnbach, LLL Leader
Va Beach, VA