From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 23:21:57 -0500
Hi All,

I have to comment on this.  While I understand the need for such a rule, I
find it very sad that people can't even discuss a product by name without
risk of a lawsuit!  Whatever happened to free speech, the First Amendment?
 Is this society really so sue happy that we can't even talk about a product
except in the privacy of our own homes?   Granted we can use "electric pump"
when discussing electric pumps, but there are many different electric pumps.
 And we can use generic names for things, but, IMHO, I think it serves a
greater benefit for those around the world, and for those of us just starting
out and learning about all the products out there to have the real names of
the item in question.  Using a word with missing letters has always annoyed
me, because sometimes I have no idea what is being discussed, and I am sure
that there are many others who feel the same.
So while I understand the need to protect ourselves and to protect each
other, I think it is RIDICULOUS (yes, I'm shouting) to have to do so.  IMHO,
anyone who threatens a lawsuit against someone for making a comment about a
product is stupid and petty.  And that includes major companies, too.
There are pros and cons to all products and we should be able to discuss
those freely so that we can help each other meet each others needs more
effectively.  That is what this forum is all about.  Helping each other.  How
can we help each other if our mouths/fingers are forced to NOT use a brand
name?  We should be able to say "Brand X" is most appropriate for/not
appropriate for this situation because...".  In the long run, I believe it is
the companies and owners of these products who will stand to lose.  Wouldn't
it be nice if these companies would give their "Permission" for people to say
anything they wanted about their products without risk of a lawsuit?  Any
corporate heads out there willing to take that risk?  BTW, what's next?  Not
being able to use the names of drugs to avoid lawsuits? How many times have
we listed specific drug names and what they are and are not appropriate for?
 How about not being able to use the names of body parts, like breast and
vagina and penis, in fear of someone crying "LEWD! LEWD! "  Please.
Most of already use the qualifiers, "IMHO, I have heard, here is a reference,
studies have found" etc..  Sad however that we must have a rule to mandate
that we MUST (just emphasizing) use qualifiers.
Maybe someday people will grow up a bit and realize that opinions are like
rectums. Everyone has one.  And people should be allowed to express
themselves.

Jay
She who is sick of lawsiut happy idiots, censorship crazy idiots, and idiots
in general.

Also, Medela pump rental substation and seller of Nurture 3 breast pumps for
Maternal Expressions, Maternity and Breastfeeding Specialty Store, Folsom
California.