From:
JoAnn Barham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 18:12:50 -0400
I have a friend with a dilemma. She has an eight month old bf baby girl. This
friend, "Jane" is gone from the baby 2 full days a week, and cannot pump
while she's gone. Baby has been taking bottles of previously pumped EBM, but
"Jane" doesn't feel like she can continue pumping, and has noticed her milk
supply has dropped. Baby nurses only 3-4 times in a 24 hour period; eats a
variety of solids. The pediatrician has advised "Jane" to give Baby 2 % cow's
milk, not to "bother with" formula, if she wants to give supplementary
bottles. When the EMB bottles are gone, the sitter has been giving the baby
juice or water bottles. Baby is in 25th percentile for height/weight, "Jane"
is worried about Baby's size.

The questions are:

1) Should she give cow's milk and not formula to a baby this age?

2) If she does give cow's milk, what kind? According to the LLL BAB, cow's
milk should not be given until after 1 year of age, and then whole milk for
2-3 years. Do these guidelines still exist?

(Never mind the hazards of formula/cow's milk. This mom knows all that; she's
having enough problem deciding what to do. I am more concerned at this point
that she will give the baby cow's milk before Baby is ready, rather than the
hazards of formula. In other words, I am asking you to tell me if FORMULA is
preferred to straight cow's milk in an 8 month old. She admits that she has
trouble with the idea of giving Baby formula, and her husband would RATHER
give cow's milk. But she wants to do what will do the least harm to the
Baby....Of course we all know what THAT would be.)

Thanks for any info.

JoAnn, LLL Leader in OKC