From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 08:57:51 -0400
Becky,

I agree that if a mom is going for a scheduled C/Section (or any other
surgery) that she needs to be NPO for a reasonable period of time.  (I've
NEVER understood why everyone has to be NPO from midnight on regardless of
the time of surgery the next day -- whether it is 7:30 am (giving them 7 1/2
hours of NPO) or 3:00 pm giving them 15 hours of NPO.  Since when is midnight
so magic?  I know, I know, it's hospital routine, and heaven forbid we should
upset routine.  Afterall, if we treated patients as individuals, you never
can tell what would happen!  What if the 3:00 surgery was suddenly bumped up
to 9:00????)  Anyway, I think the reason women do what they "think" they
should do (eat a full meal?) rather than what their bodies tell them to do is
because they have had their instincts for anything downtrodden since they
were little girls.  We spend a lot of our lives being told what to do, even
if contrary to what our heart tells us to do.

Off the soapbox -- momentarily...

Jan B.